RICHARD G. DANIELS – SHAREHOLDER
University of Miami, A.B.
University of Miami, J.D.
Bar Admissions: Florida
Richard G. Daniels was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mr. Daniels received his Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of Miami in 1973 and his Juris Doctor from the University of Miami in 1977.
Mr. Daniels was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1977 and, admitted to the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida in 1978, to the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida Trial Bar in 1982, to the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit in 1980, and to the United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit in 1982.
Mr. Daniels’ experience includes the representation of some of the largest Architectural and Engineering firms in the state of Florida, as well as numerous insurance companies. He has more than thirty eight years experience representing design professionals, specializing in the defense of professional liability claims on behalf of architects, engineers, surveyors and their insurance carriers. In addition, he has served as special counsel representing local government agencies in various construction litigation matters and has also served on the Panel of Construction Arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association since 1984.
Mr. Daniels is an allied member of the South Florida Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and has lectured before that organization on topics related to professional liability. He is an approved AIA/CES Provider. He has been an invited speaker at Victor O’Schinnerer’s “Annual Meeting of Invited Attorneys”, The Florida Bar’s “Construction Law Institute” and has appeared five times as the featured speaker in the AIA sponsored television series ‘All About Architecture’.
- Architects and Engineers Professional Liability Claims Defense
- Attorney’s Malpractice Defense
- Construction Litigation
- Construction Project Contract Negotiation
- Insurance Agents Errors & Omissions Defense
- Labor and Employment Law
Professional Licenses & Awards
- Fellow, International Academy of Construction Lawyers
- 2012 “Most Effective Lawyer” Finalist – Daily Business Review
- Best Lawyers In America Award: Construction Law, Litigation-Construction (2009-2016)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America – Construction Litigation, Professional Liability Defense
- Top Attorney in South Florida, as published by the Wall Street Journal 2011
- Recognized as a “Florida Super Lawyer” (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Recognized as a “South Florida Top Lawyer by The Miami Herald, South Florida Legal Guide and Corporate Counsel”
- Peer Review Rated – AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Evidence
Professional Articles/Lectures (Partial List)
- AIA Florida Annual Convention – July 20, 2012 “The Design Professional’s Guide to Integrated Project Delivery, Including Other Collaborative Delivery Methods – Addressing the Design Professional’s Role, the Legal, Contractual, Risk Management and Insurance Considerations, and the Role of Business Information Modeling as an Integral Tool to a Successful Project”
- Build Palm Beach Presentations: March 29, 2012
“Common Law and Indemnity in Florida – the Design Professional as Insurer” and
“Construction Defect Claims: Florida Statute 558”
- “Complex Construction Litigation,” The Construction Law Institute, March 23, 2012
- Arbitration or Litigation? – A Roadmap Through the Pitfalls Towards Effective & Consistent Forum Selection for Design Build Claims, The Construction Law Institute, 2010
- Managing Errors & Omissions and Contractor Change Order Disputes on Public Projects, AIA, Miami-Dade Chapter, 2008
- AIA/CES Provider for: The Invited Design Professional Annual Series – “Annual Presentation on Current Legal Issues Which Impact the Design Professional,” 2001 & 2002
- “The Supervisory Architect Exception to the Economic Loss Rule,” Lorman Education Services, 1998
- “Architects Liability for Contract Administration/Jobsite Safety,” Lorman Education Services, 1997
- Author: “Potential Pitfalls of the Architect as Arbitrator in the Owner/Contractor Contract,” Lorman Education Services, 1997
Reported Appellate Decisions
- Cunningham Hamilton Quiter, P.A. v. B.L. of Miami, Inc., 776 So.2d 940 (Fla. 3d DCA 2000)
- McDonald v. Florida Department of Transportation, 655 So.2d 1164 (Fla. 4th DCA 1995)
- Georgetown Manor, Inc. v. Ethan Allen, Inc., 47 F.3d 1099 C.A.11 (Fla. 1995) See 753 F.Supp. 936 S.D. (Fla. 1991)
- Carroll v. Hatton, 512 So.2d 1132 (Fla. 4th DCA 1987) See also 530 So.2d 1088 (Fla. 4th DCA 1988)
- Caruso v. Sterling Yacht and Shipbuilders, Inc., 828 F.2d 14 1988 C.A. 11 (Fla. 1987)
- Metayer v. Thibaud, 510 So.2d 925 (Fla. 4th DCA 1987)
- In re Monroe County Housing Corp., Inc., 26 B.R. 785 Bkrtcy. (Fla. 1982) See also 29 B.R. 686 Bkrtcy (Fla. 1983)
- Mortgage Guarantee Insurance Corporation v. B. Stewart, 427 So.2d 776 (Fla. 3d DCA 1983)
- Atlantic Coast Development Corp. v. Napoleon Steel Contractors, 385 So.2d 676 (Fla. 3d DCA 1980)
- Charles Giller & Associates v. Miller & Solomon, Inc., 369 So.2d 106 (Fla. 3d DCA 1979)
- F & R Builders v. Lowell Dunn Co., 364 So.2d 826 (Fla. 3d DCA 1978)
- The Florida Bar, 1977
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1978
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida Trial Bar 1982
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1982
- Member, Panel of Arbitrators, construction, American Arbitration Association.
- American Institute of Architects (Associate Member)
- AIA/CES Provider – American Institute of Architects
- Allied Member of AIA Miami