PATRICK J. TOOMEY – PARTNER
University of Florida, J.D.
University of Notre Dame, B.B.A.
Bar Admissions: Florida
Patrick J. Toomey, Jr. was born in Evergreen Park, Illinois. Mr. Toomey received his Bachelor of Business Administration from the University Of Notre Dame in 1980, and his Juris Doctor from the University of Florida in 1983.
Mr. Toomey was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1983. He was admitted to the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida in 1986, the North District of Florida in 2008, the Middle District of Florida in 2010 and to the United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit in 1993.
Mr. Toomey has a broad complex litigation background with a particular emphasis in construction litigation matters. For over 28 years he has represented local, regional, national, and international architectural and engineering firms. He is experienced representing architectural, engineering, and surveying firms, as well as contractors and subcontractors in litigation matters ranging from simple fee collection to multi-party construction disputes with claims of over $40 million dollars. He has obtained summary judgments that were affirmed on appeal in wrongful death action brought against highway engineering firms. Mr. Toomey also assists various clients in the negotiation of architectural, engineering, and construction contracts.
Mr. Toomey has been an active member of the Florida Bar for over 30 years. During that time, he has successfully handled appellate matters in the Eleventh Circuit, the Florida Supreme Court, and in Florida District Courts of Appeal. He frequently lectures on construction related legal topics for professional and educational organizations. Mr. Toomey is “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell.
- Construction Litigation
- Architect & Engineers Professional Liability Claims Defense
Reported Appellate Decisions
- Estate of Reyes ex rel. Reyes v. Parsons Brinckerhoff Const. Services, Inc., 784 So.2d 514 (Fla. App. 3d Dist., 2001)
- Menin v. Cook, 648 So.2d 329 (Fla. App. 3d Dist., 1995)
- Renfro v. Dodge, 520 So.2d 690 (Fla. App. 4th Dist., 1988)
- The Florida Bar, 1983
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1989
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1993
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2008
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2010
Professional Licenses & Awards
- Peer Review Rated – AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell