JOSE B. RODRIGUEZ, AIA – PARTNER
University of Florida, B.A.
University of Oklahoma, B.Arch., J.D.
Bar Admissions: Florida
Jose B. Rodriguez, AIA, was born in Coral Gables Florida. Mr. Rodriguez received his Bachelor of Design from the University of Florida in 1988. After completing his undergraduate work, he attended the University of Oklahoma where he received both a Bachelor of Architecture in 1992 and his Juris Doctor in 1995.
Mr. Rodriguez is a registered architect in the State of Texas (18095), and obtained a State of Florida Certified Building Contractor license (inactive). He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1995, to the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida in 1996 and to the United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit in 1998. Mr. Rodriguez is the managing Partner of the firm’s Fort Lauderdale office.
Mr. Rodriguez’s practice is concentrated on defending architects, engineers, attorneys and surveyors throughout the State of Florida. He is routinely retained by numerous insurance companies to address professional liability claims asserted against their insureds.
Mr. Rodriguez counsels architects and engineers on risk management strategies for major projects. He frequently lectures on professional liability issues related to design professionals and contractors, including the impact of “standard” contract provisions related to the exposure being assumed. He has also served as an adjunct professor of Building Construction Law. Mr. Rodriguez is an “AV” Preeminent Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Professional Liability Defense
- Architect’s Malpractice
- Engineering Malpractice
- Insurance Defense
- Legal Malpractice
- Environmental law
- Verzura Const., Inc. v. Wallace Corp., 890 So.2d 1226 (Fla. App. 3d Dist., 2005)
Professional Licenses & Awards
- Best Lawyers In America Award: Construction Law (2014, 2016) Construction Litigation (2016)
- Peer Review Rated – AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell
- 2003 Registered Architect, State of Texas (18095)
- Building Contractor, State of Florida (049998, inactive)
- 2007 Adjunct Professor at Miami-Dade College, Course: BCT 1743 – Building Construction Law
- July 18, 2013 – AIA Tampa Bay – The Impact of the Architect’s Contract on Professional Liability Coverage
- January 9, 2013 – AIA Ft. Lauderdale – Architect’s Limited Immunity for Contract Decisions
- February 16, 2012 – CPCU Miami Chapter – LEED®, Follow, or Get Out of the Way
- 2011 – Presented Florida Legal and Insurance Issues to Independent Insurance Agents on LEED Potential Minefield.
- November 17, 2011 – AIA Tampa Bay – Construction Defects Claims, Florida Statute 558
- August 10, 2011 – Independent Insurance Agents of South Florida (IIASF) – LEED®, Follow, or Get Out of the Way
- June 9, 2011 – Council on Litigation Management (CLM) – Introduction to A&E Claims – presented to ICE Merrill
- 2010 AIA Tampa Chapter – was the featured speaker at the AIA Tampa Principal’s Roundtable. Topics and presentation addressed architectural concerns regarding Caps on Liability/Creative Legal Theories and How to Avoid Them.
- 2009 AIA Florida Convention – Mr. Rodriguez was a guest speaker at the 2009 AIA Florida Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Mr. Rodriguez addressed the Typical Claims Against Florida Architects in a lecture titled Managing Risk in a Down Economy.
- 2008 Mr. Rodriguez was a panelist in a round table discussion, hosted by The Associated General Contractor Association of Florida. Mr. Rodriguez presented the AIA National’s position AGC’s ConsensusDOCS and contrasted the proposed terms with the AIA 2007 Form agreements.
- 2007 Mr. Rodriguez presented a lecture on Ownership Transitions- Professional Liability Issues Associated with Sales, Mergers, Acquisitions, Retirement and Other Ownership Changes Within Architectural Design Firms to the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Society for Design Administration, an Affiliate of The American Institute of Architects.
- The Florida Bar, 1995
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1996
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1998
- American Institute of Architects
- Council on Litigation Management (CLM)
- Developers & Builders Alliance
- Executive Committee of the Young Architect’s Forum for the American Institute of Architects
- The Cuban American Bar Association
- The Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- The Jefferson Society – membership for advancement of Architects and Lawyers