JORGE L. CRUZ, P.E. – PARTNER
Education: Florida International University, B.S.
University of Miami, J.D.
Bar Admissions: Florida
Board Certified Construction Law, The Florida Bar
Jorge L. Cruz born in Havana, Cuba received his Bachelor of Science in Engineering from Florida International University in 1990. Upon graduating, Mr. Cruz obtained his license as a professional engineer and developed extensive construction experience particularly in the design of electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire protection systems. He was involved in the design of large projects for Miami International Airport, Miami Dade County Public Schools, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Baptist Hospital, South Miami Hospital and the Port of Miami.
While working as an engineer, Mr. Cruz attended law school, and in 2001, received his Juris Doctor from the University of Miami. He was admitted to the Florida Bar and to the United States District Court, Southern District Court of Florida in 2002.
Mr. Cruz practices in the areas of construction litigation, design professional liability defense, insurance defense, and lien defense and prosecution. He maintains licenses as both a Florida Professional Engineer and Certified General Contractor.
Mr. Cruz maintains active membership in a number of professional associations including the Dade County Bar Association, Cuban American Bar Association, Florida Board of Professional Engineers, Florida Engineering Society, and is a Construction Law Certified Attorney. Mr. Cruz is a dynamic and informed speaker and has appeared before a number of professional design organizations speaking on various legal issues relevant to their profession. In 2012, at the chapter’s annual convention, he was elected to the AIA Florida Board of Directors as Member at Large and re-elected in 2013.
- Construction Litigation
- Design Professional Liability Defense
- Insurance Defense
- Lien Defense and Prosecution
- Foreclosure Defense
- Environmental Law
- Surety Defense
- Sinkhole Litigation
Professional Licenses & Awards
- Board Certified Construction Law, The Florida Bar
- Professional Engineer in the State of Florida (License 51901)
- Certified General Contractor in the State of Florida (CGC 1513944)
- Recognized for Professional Excellence in Engineering by “Los Triunfadores”, 1994
- The Florida Bar, 2002
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2002
- First Annual Seminar for Young Architects 07 (Prof. Contracts, DPR Rules & Ch. 481)
- Emerging Professional Conference 07 (Common Mistakes That Architects Can Avoid)
- Design Technology Expo 08, (Current Legal Issues Affecting Design Professionals)
- Design Technology Expo 2012, (Construction Defect Claims Florida Statute 558)
- AIA Miami – Design + Technology Exposition 2013 (Job Site Safety and Architectural Copyright – Protecting Yourself and Your Work)
- Jorge L. Cruz, P.E. joins panelists at AIA Miami six workshop series on launching a practice. Session 2 includes: Incorporations, EINs, Insurance, Contracts and more…AIA invitation
- AIA Florida Board of Directors as Member at Large (2012, 2013)
- Member of the Planning Board of the City of South Miami
- Member of the Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- Dade County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA)
- Florida Board of Professional Engineers
- Florida Engineering Society (FES)
- Allied Member of AIA Miami